Featured artists this year include The John Abercrombie Quartet, Nels Cline’s DIRTY BABY, The Ravi Coltrane / Ralph Alessi Quintet, Henry Grimes and Friends, Wadada Leo Smith’s Golden Quartet with Vijay Iyer, Myra Melford’s Trio, The Sons of Champignon (Tim Berne, Jim Black and Nels Cline) and others. The festival is produced by Angel City Arts in association with the L.A. County Arts Commission, LACMA, CalArts, L.A. Filmforum, Cryptogramophone Records and the Jazz Bakery.
For more information, visit angelcityjazz.com.
2010 Angel City Jazz Festival Schedule:
- Saturday, October 2 Â – 8:00 PM at Walt Disney Concert Hall’s REDCAT Theater – Henry Grimes & Friends with Dwight Trible / John Beasley Duo. 631 W. Second St., L.A.; (213) 237-2800. Produced in association with CalArts.
- Sunday, October 3 Â – 5:00 PM at the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre - A daylong outdoor event with five of the world’s most creative jazz ensembles:Ravi Coltrane / Ralph Alessi Quintet, Wadada Leo Smith’s Golden Quartet with Vijay Iyer, Sons of Champignon, Vinny Golia Sextet and Kneebody. 2580 Cahuenga Blvd. East, LA; (323) 461-3673. Produced in association with the L.A. County Arts Commission. For tickets, go here.
- Monday, October 4th – 7:00 & 9:00 PM at Royal/T in Culver City — Music, Dance, Food & Improvisation – Â a benefit for Angel City Arts featuring Myra Melford’s Trio with Stomu Takeishi and Alex Cline, Japanese butoh dancer Oguri and Chef Paul Canales of Oliveto Restaurant. Taste food inspired by music, simultaneously interpreted in dance. A four-course meal will be served with wine and music. There will also be an art auction with proceeds donated to Angel City Arts. 8910 Washington Blvd, Culver City – (310) 559-6300
- Thursday, October 7th – 7:30 PM at LACMA’s Bing Theater - DIRTY BABY: Nels Cline, Ed Ruscha and David Breskin. The world premiere of Â Cline and Breskin’s Â recontextualization of legendary L.A. artist Ed Ruscha’s “censor strip” paintings. Â DIRTY BABY combines pictures, music and poetry. Â 5905 Wilshire Blvd.; (323) 857-6000. Produced in association with LACMA and Cryptogramophone Records.
- Friday, October 8th – 8:00 PM at the Barnsdall Gallery Theater in Hollywood – Creative Music & Film: Â World premiere of The Reach of Resonance, plus a solo piano set by Motoko Honda. Â A chainsaw orchestra, a singing dog, a man who chews on amplified glass, a string quartet written for barbed-wire fences, a woman who creates counterpoint from dot-matrix printers — these are a few of the creative endeavors explored by filmmaker Steven Elkins. Â A Q&A ollows. 4800 Hollywood Blvd.; (323) 644-6272. Produced in association with L.A. Filmforum.
- Saturday, October 9th – 8:00 & 9:30 PM – Musicians Institute Theater in Hollywood – The John Abercrombie Quartet. geatuing Â violinist Mark Feldman, bassist Thomas Morgan and drummer Joey Baron. 6752 Hollywood Blvd.; (310) 271-9039. Produced in association with the Jazz Bakery.